Class A/B Operator Training
In Wyoming, UST System Operators can only be certified after taking and passing the exam administered by the International Code Council (ICC)
through Pearson VUE
testing centers. Preparing for the ICC exam(s) is a three-step process.
Step One: Take the PASS ICC Preparatory Course
Step Two: Find the Exam You NeedandPrepare Your Reference Materials
First, read the information for your state’s exam provided in the ICC Exam Catalog
. That is where you can find the number of exam questions, the exam fee, type of exam, and the list of reference materials. Make sure to note if your exam is online or in person.
Most ICC UST operator exams are open books, which means that you may take certain documents (called reference materials) with you to use during the exam. The ICC, however, has strict requirements about which reference materials you can take into the exam with you and in what format. PASS strongly recommends that you obtain your reference materials well in advance of taking the exam.
You can find the permitted reference materials in the ICC Exam Catalog or in the UST Exam References and Renewal Information.
(This document can also be found in the Exam Catalog under the info section.) They typically include the federal and state UST regulations (which usually can be found on the state UST program’s website
), as well as some publications from the EPA. The Wyoming ICC exam allows you to bring the following materials, available for download here or through a PASS ICC prep course. Publications from the Petroleum Equipment Institute (PEI) must be purchased through PEI’s online store.
The ICC sometimes bundles of all the reference materials for sale in their online store
Remember, you can only bring the approved reference materials with you into the exam if they are prepared correctly. If you do not follow these steps, the Pearson Vue test center personnel will not let you take your materials into the exam room and you will not be able to use them during the exam.
STAPLE OR BIND YOUR MATERIALS. You may not take loose pages into the exam room, so we recommend that you print the reference materials and either staple them together or place them in a three-ring binder.
MAKE NOTES. Notes in your reference materials before the exam will make it easier to find this information in the testing room. Remember, there is a time limit! Helpful information to locate ahead of time includes your state’s allowable release detection methods, financial responsibility mechanisms, recordkeeping requirements, operator retraining requirements, etc. These notes must be in ink and all highlighting must be done before you arrive.
USE TABS. You may also use tabs to mark important sections, but these tabs must be permanently attached and not be removable without damage to the page (removable post-it type tabs, for example, would not be allowed).
Step Three: Schedule Your Exams
ICC exams are offered periodically at Pearson VUE testing centers around your state. When you are ready, you can purchase your exam directly from the ICC course catalog. Once purchased, you will be able to schedule your exam through Pearson VUE. Learn more at www.pearsonvue.com/icc/cert
Wyoming Post-Training Certification Procedures
UST Class A/B operators in Wyoming need to take and pass the appropriate International Code Council’s (ICC’s)
UST/AST operator exam and then apply for a Wyoming license
. Here is what to do.
- You may choose to take PASS’ Wyoming UST Class A/B Operator Training (ICC Preparatory Course) to prepare for the exam.
- Sign up for one of the following ICC exams through the Pearson VUE website. For general information about how the ICC exams work, visit PASS’ ICC Exam page.
- The ICC W6 (Wyoming State-Specific Class A Storage Tank Operator) exam is for Class A/B UST operators. Passing this exam qualifies you for a Wyoming Class A/B operator’s license.
- The ICC BU (Class B UST System Operator) national exam is for Class B UST operators. Passing this exam only qualifies you for a Wyoming UST Class B operator’s license.
- The ICC W5 (Wyoming State-Specific Class B AST Operator) exam is for Class B AST operators. Passing this exam qualifies you for a Wyoming AST Class B operator’s license.
- Upon receiving your ICC score, you must submit an application for a Wyoming license, along with a copy of your ICC score report, to the Department of Environmental Quality, Solid and Hazardous Division (DEQ).
Wyoming class A/B operators must retake the ICC exam and reapply for their Wyoming license every five years.
Class C operators
In Wyoming, Class C training should be done on-site by an A/B operator. They may use our training course and orientation checklist to guide them through Class C operator training.