This course provides you with the necessary knowledge and techniques needed to be a responsible seller/server of alcohol. Specifically you will learn how to protect yourself and your establishment from liability; how alcohol affects your customers; how to recognize the effects of alcohol on your customers; how to prevent customers from becoming intoxicated; how to intervene when you need to refuse a sale to someone; how to prevent and deal with disturbances; how to accurately check IDs and recognize minors; how to prevent second-party sales and loitering; and how to refuse a sale.
Beverage Alcohol Sellers and Servers Education and Training (BASSET) is the State of Illinois' responsible beverage seller/server program. Under the licensing and regulatory auspices of the Illinois Liquor Control Commission, BASSET is designed to encourage profitable, responsible, and legal alcohol sales and service.
The goals and objectives of the BASSET Program are:
- Train and educate sellers and servers to engage in responsible alcohol service;
- Spot signs of intoxication and utilize various intervention techniques;
- Prevent DUIs and alcohol-related fatalities;
- Stop underage sales and underage drinking;
- Create safer communities and establishments where alcohol is served;
- Educate owners, managers and staff on dram shop insurance, state laws, and local ordinances regarding alcohol service.