The purpose and goal of the Learn2Serve Food Handler Training Certificate program is to provide individuals working in restaurants and non-restaurant facilities with an overview of food safety issues, regulations, and techniques to maintain a food-safe environment. These individuals will also be able to better understand how handling food correctly reduces risks.
Learning Objectives for Food Handler Training Course
1. Define food safety and its goals, benefits, impact, proper adherence, critical control points, and recall requirements
2. Recall biohazards, symptoms and causes of common foodborne illnesses, identify spoilage signs and causes.
3. Identify three types of contamination, explain how food becomes hazardous, and recognize how to preserve food.
4. Understand time, temperature, and control with relation to food handling and how to properly take the temperature of food and maintain the temperature while storing food.
5. Discuss personal hygiene importance and practices, and food handling practices and techniques.
6. Understand procedures for acquiring and receiving food, considerations for meat and poultry, and proper food storage.
7. Identify both proper and improper cleaning and sanitizing procedures and implications.
8. Identify signs and eradication procedures for pest infestation; recognize proper facility design for food handling, including a reliable water supply, wiping cloth usage requirements, and toilet/ hand washing mandates.
Lesson 1: Introduction
Lesson 2: Biohazards, Foodborne Disease, and Food Spoilage
Lesson 3: Contaminants
Lesson 4: Food and Temperature Control
Lesson 5: Employee Health, Hygiene, and Training
Lesson 6: Purchasing, Receiving, and Storing Food
Lesson 7: Cleaning and Sanitizing
Lesson 8: Pest ControlLesson 9: Facility Design
Food Handler Training Course (ASTM) - California Department of Public Health